Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Alright, final thing about "Curb Your Enthusiasm" (for this week, at least)

I just wanted to post a link about the unintended benefits of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" in exonerating a wrongfully convicted man from death row before I delete the link from my instant messenger profile.

Video footage of a "Curb" episode that was filmed at a Los Angeles Dodgers game included frames of the incarcerated Juan Catalan, who had been accused of murdering a 16-year old, Martha Puebla, though he had defended his innocence with the alibi that he was at the baseball game with his daughter.  Before Catalan's lawyer, Todd Melnik found out that HBO had footage from the episode, he had pored unsuccessfully through Dodger Vision and Fox Sports tapes without finding a distinct image of Catalan.  Indeed, the frames on the "Curb" footage proved the truth of Catalan's alibi, as the time codes on the film indicated that the time that Catalan was at the game made it impossible for him to have been present at the time of the murder of Martha Puebla.

Larry David said of the exonerating footage, “I tell people that I’ve now done one decent thing in my life, albeit inadvertently.”  I love this man.



No comments: