Monday, November 14, 2005

Why the 70s were even weirder than you thought

As an aspiring cultural historian of the 70s, I wanted to make an observation about that era. What was the deal with...
Disco songs about historical figures and events??

"Rasputin" by Boney M.

There lived a certain man in russia long ago
He was big and strong, in his eyes a flaming glow

Most people looked at him with terror and with fear

But to moscow chicks he was such a lovely dear
He could preach the Bible like a preacher

Full of ecstacy and fire
But he also was the kind of teacher

Women would desire


Ra ra rasputin
Lover of the russian queen
There was a cat that really was gone

Ra ra rasputin
Russia’s greatest love machine
It was a shame how he carried on

Waterloo by Abba
My my, at waterloo napoleon did surrender

Oh yeah, and I have met my destiny in quite a similar way

The history book on the shelf
Is always repeating itself

Waterloo - I was defeated, you won the war
Waterloo - promise to love you for ever more
Waterloo - couldn’t escape if I wanted to

Waterloo - knowing my fate is to be with you
Waterloo - finally facing my waterloo

No comments: