Monday, March 08, 2004

"Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get Me Down" and more on love and music lyrics

What I feel is come and gone before
No need to talk it out
We know what it’s all about
Hanging around, nothing to do but frown
Rainy days and mondays always get me down
-"Rainy Days and Mondays" The Carpenters

I think it's funny that "sappy" tunes like this one are mocked and the educated, non Lite FM-listening person has to pretend that any Carpenters (or Bread, or Carly Simon to an extent, etc.) interest that he or she holds is purely comic. I will say that I used to like the Carpenters for fun. For example, check these lyrics out:

Why do birds suddenly appear
Every time you are near?
Just like me, they long to be
Close to you

Why do stars fall down from the sky
Every time you walk by?
Just like me, they long to be
Close to you

- "(They Long to be) Close to You"

Those lyrics are awfully sweet, to the point of being truly cavity inducing. I always wonder whether Karen Carpenter (or Richard Carpenter, to be fair, he was part of the group too) could have possibly been moved by an actual love interest of her own to proclaim to this person that

On the day that you were born
The angels got together
And decided to create a dream come true.


But you know what, I'd like to believe that yes, yes these cheesy lyrics were in fact provoked by true, genuine love, and perhaps they are not as tacky as hipsters like me (haha) would like to think. Perhaps love is just as crazy and uber-saccharine (oh gosh sorry about that hipster word) as I fear it to be.

Ah well, it remains a mystery, at least to me, and on that note let's close this post off with a little Bread, a 1970s group that has faded much too far into the background...

Hey, have you ever tried
Really reaching out for the other side
I'm may be climbing on rainbows but baby, here goes

Dreams, they're for those who sleep
Life is for us to keep
And if you're wondering what this song is leading to
I want to make it with you

-"Make it With You"

No comments: