Monday, July 25, 2005

Cell Phone Culture

I couldn't agree more with "Face the Nation" host Bob Schieffer's commentary:
I realized a long time ago that cell phones are not to communicate. They are the new cigarette, something to grab when we're nervous, but I have come to believe they are something more, a magic carpet that takes us from reality to a different place like a child who reads "Harry Potter" or the drunk who believes he is invincible, as in, 'It's OK, honey. They'll never see us over here.'

Cell phone users are transported to a place where they no longer see or hear the world around them. Unfortunately, in the world around them, where the rest of us are, we hear them.
Unfortuantely, I can't say I'm totally innocent of talking on my phone in public, but I usually at least try not to make calls:

2 comments:

Chris said...

I think IPods do the same thing, too. It's not as obtrusive, but equally as escapist.

Elaine said...

I think the difference between an iPod and a cell phone is that cell phones are often used by people to broadcast their lives to the world, broadcast that they have friends and aren't lonely, whereas iPods are used as a way to retreat from such people and other nuisances of life. Plus, it's nice to listen to music when on the train or what have ou.

Yeah, I have been out with people who will take cell phone calls and spend a long time on them, and I think you're right Will that those people really aren't living in the moment.