Monday, July 04, 2005

See, Aren't We All Glad the FDA Exists?

The FDA just released a salmonella warning against Cold Stone Creamery's "Cake Batter" flavor:

Cold Stone Creamery together with the FDA are notifying the public that products containing "cake batter" ice cream sold at Cold Stone Creamery stores may be associated with outbreaks of Salmonella Typhimurium infection in four states.

Cake Batter's possible contamination with this organism came to light after outbreaks of infection with this form of Salmonella were reported in Minnesota, Washington state, Oregon and Ohio. Some of the people reporting this illness also reported consuming cake batter at a Cold Stone Creamery shortly before the onset of their illness.

I may never eat Cake Batter again, or maybe I will eat it with the knowledge that Cold Stone will take measures to avoid salmonella poisoning in the future, but I'm glad there is an agency that investigates and publicizes such information.

Since I did actually eat Cake Batter once in Illinois, if I experience nausea or fever, I will be mad!


No comments: