Saturday, July 02, 2005

Chicago à Paris?

I came upon an interesting blog that I will link to in my sidebar called New York à Paris, written by a man who set off to Paris to try and find a job in business. He is a good writer, and by the end of the blog, the point really comes across that it is hard, very hard, to find a job in France unless you speak fluent French. My French teacher this year told me if I wanted to go to France, I should definitely find a job here that would take me there rather then move there to find a job. This blog certainly proves him right.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

That's really interesting. I'm jealous that you got to live there for a whole year! I lived there for basically a semester and I too took my classes in English (except for the French class of course). I've always thought the French attitude towards work which seems to be "in moderation" seems very balanced and healthy but the fact that it also gets criticized for inflexibility could be problematic too. I guess on this guy's blog he was told that since many companies in France use English he would be okay, but then he actually found that it was almost impossible to actually be hired without fluent French. There goes my chances of finding a job there!