Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Hey that old guy from 'Law and Order' likes him, so he must be good!

George W. Bush has signed on actor and former Senator from Tennessee Fred Thompson to "guide [his Supreme Court] nominee through the confirmation process."

I don't really understand why he reached out to Thompson, who Americans probably know best as District Attorney Arthur Branch on Law and Order. (I actually had to look that up, because I am one of the 10 Americans who doesn't watch L &O).

Anyway, I'm not sure why Fred Thompson has been invited to assume this role, but I do know that this White House invests a good deal in public relations solutions, so I expect they hope that when Americans see Thompson sitting behind Edith Jones or Alberto Gonzales or J. Michael Luttig during confirmation hearings, they will approve of the nominee since DA Arthur Branch is on their side.

No comments: